Sunday, July 7, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: Stila Color Balm Lipstick in Gemma

Hello again,


I'm on a little blogging roll this weekend so I thought I'd post another edition of 'Under the Microscope', this time on Stila's Colour Balm Lipstick in Gemma!


Stila is not a brand I have many products of, but I bought some of their UV After Glow Lip Colours and was suitably impressed! I chose Gemma from the Color Balm range because of a) the colour and b) it's claims to be moisturising. I had previously swatched it on a play date to Mecca Cosmetica and after looking at it on my hand for the next 20 minutes, I decided I wanted it! haha.

The Packaging
The packaging is like an up-market balm tube, shiny silver with colour co-ordinating branding. I think it's really cool that it matches depending on what colour you have! (Helps you to find which one you are looking for too!).

Stila Color Balm in Gemma
These Color Balm lippies (need to stop being Australian and remember to not put the 'u' in colour!) come in about 18 different shades and claim to have "the full pigmented load of a lipstick but the nourishing properties of a balm".

Gemma - Under Lamp
Gemma - Flash
Gemma is a red-based purple with a slight gold shimmer. (I didn't know it actually had a shimmer until I put the macro on to photograph it!). In real life, the proper colour is somewhere between the two (it's definitely not as blue based as the artificial light one looks!). The product is very pigmented but also sheer (which would likely be due to it's balmy formulation). To clarify, you get a big hit of colour which applies evenly, but it is nowhere near opaque as a matte lipstick (for instance).


From the moment I put it on I was amazed at how light and comfortable it was to wear. It also contains Peppermint Oil to soothe and stimulate irritated lips. While they remind me of OCC Lip Tars more than anything (same smell), I am confused as to why you would want to stimulate irritated lips (unless this is to do with cell regeneration? hmmm). Anyway, it was definitely soothing to wear (especially as my lips are having a dry spell again). It did bleed a little, which was to be expected, so wearing it with a lip liner is recommended.

Once again, you can have a little treat of an in-action pic!:
The only downside to this product is it's blunt tip, which made it quite a pain to get it on. Yes, you could use a lip brush (making it easy fixed) but I do like the convenience of being able to apply straight from the tube, especially when you are on the run!


I am pleasantly surprised by these, and I recommend them for those times when you still want a nice pop of colour but your lips are dry and unhappy.


You can purchase Color Balm lippies from Mecca Cosmetica (www.meccacosmetica.com.au) for AUD$36 and you get 3.5gms of product. (Think of it as the same price as a MAC lippy but you get 0.5gms more!). You can also find Stila on Beauty Bay.

Have you tried any of the Color Balm's? Which is your favourite?
Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment