Sunday, July 7, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: RiRi Hearts MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks

Hello again,
MAC has collaborated with Barbadian songstress Rihanna (or Rihanna has collaborated with MAC... either way!) to release a range of 'RiRi hearts MAC' products. There's lipsticks, blushes, lustre drops and plenty more on the way (I think there is some eye shadows and other biz to come).

This post will be on the three so-far released Rihanna x MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks.
Realistically speaking I didn't need any of them... but let's face it I'm a bit of a marketers dream and after all the hype in the US, I had to get my hands on RiRi Woo! (The first release of RiRi Woo sold out in 3 hours in the US... THREE HOURS! sheesh!). I was super impressed with RiRi Woo so I then picked up Heaux and RiRi Boy, which came out in the next release!
(L-R): RiRi Boy, Heaux, RiRi Woo
There is no fancy packaging with these, even though they are LE, but they do have Rihanna's signature engraved onto the lippy as featured in Exhibit A:
Exhibit A: Insignia
(it feels like a lab report now! haha)
I still don't quite get what the difference between MAC's matte and retro matte is (if you have any clue please let me know!). I am under the assumption that retro matte gives you the finish that you would expect to see in some 60's pin-up poster. Either way, I like the finish so they can call it whatever they like!
But in all seriousness, these have to be among the best matte lippies I've come across! Swatch time:

Natural Light
(L-R): RiRi Boy, Heaux, RiRi Woo

Artificial Light
(L-R): RiRi Boy, Heaux, RiRi Woo
I have also worn all of these (pretty much a first for any collection!) and will include some pics of them on. If you are following me on Instagram (@polishedmakeup) or are a regular reader, you will have probably seen some of these already!
Riri Boy: A mid-tone violet purple.
This was actually quite a surprise packet. Pleasantly surprising on. I really like the colour, however, the wear was probably the most disappointing of the three. After a while it starts to go a bit patchy a la Heroine. There has been talk of this being very similar to Up The Amp! I did swatch them side by side in-store and they do look similar. Once I finally acquire UTA I will put a dupe test up!
RiRi Boy
Heaux: A deep berry.
This is actually a lot deeper than I expected, especially for a summer collection (though good for us Aussie's being that it's winter over here!). However, it's still a really pretty colour! I can see this one appealing to the widest market. I can't think of any immediate MAC dupes, nor have I heard of any, but I will keep my eyes peeled!
Heaux
(don't mind my silly face montage!)
RiRi Woo: A blue based, cool toned red.
This would suit many skin-tones (particularly us pink-based pasty folk!) To me, this is the type of red you wear when you are getting all dolled up for a night out.
Dupe wise, apparently RiRi Woo is similar to Ruby Woo (one of MAC's most popular reds). I don't own Ruby Woo, hence another reason to buy RiRi Woo as an alternative (plus, I don't wear red lippy too often so unlike other colours, I don't feel the impending need to stock up!). From the pics I've seen they are rather dupe-worthy so hit google if you need to see some more pics!

These mattes are really pleasant to wear and I certainly don't find them as drying as other matte lippies, including MAC's normal mattes. Of course, matte's are rather unforgiving so make sure you prep your lips well! The wear time is exceptional, and if you didn't eat or drink they would last all day and night! (Let's face it though you'll probably have something so a little touch up may be required after meals!). They definitely get a big tick from me!
My overall pick would be Heaux. Because it has a smidgen more pink in it than RiRi Woo, I personally feel it's a tad more practial for everyday wear. For those who love the formula, there is also eight retro matte colours coming out mid-September! Woohoo! I best save my pennies!

These lippies retail for AUD$36 for 3gms and at the time of posting, all are still currently available for sale on the MAC website (www.maccosmetics.com.au) - no hot potato sell outs here! Please note too, it's an online only release so you won't find these in stores!

Have you tried these lippies? What is your favourite colour?
Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment