Wednesday, April 3, 2013

DUPE TEST: Lime Crime 'Geradium' vs MAC 'Viva Glam Nicki'

Welcome back! (or hello if this is the first time you are venturing to my blog!)

Today's post is something that has somewhat been a 'hot topic' on the internet of late: The comparison of Lime Crime's Lipstick 'Geradium' and MAC's Lipstick 'Viva Glam Nicki'.

Lime Crime released Geradium, the latest lipstick in their colourful collection, on Valentine's Day (which was the Friday in Australia). As soon as I saw it I HAD to have it (mostly due to them having a sale and becuase I have all their other lippies! lol) BUT I did not think to ponder what I had in my stash first. My bad.

Soon after, a lot of comparisons started popping up comparing LC and MAC and here I am thinking "OH DEAR...". Nevertheless, I've FINALLY decided to get around to comparing the two to see what all the fuss is about (thank you blog!). So here are my results from the 'dupe' test! (this is starting to feel like a university lab report now! lol)

Firstly, here are the important product stats:

WEIGHT
LC: 3.5 grams
MAC: 3.0 grams

PRICE
LC: AUD $21 (when purchased from an Australian Retailer, or US$16 from LC direct - but shipping is $11 so either buy lots or wait for a sale - or both!)
MAC: AUD $36 (MAC is notorious for having product rip offs! Please don't risk it and buy from a genuine and authorised retailer!)

SMELL
LC: YUM
MAC: YUM
(both vanilla based and tasty!)

OK, so LC is the definite front runner at this point based on weight and price (and value for money is a good thing!) HOWEVER, every cent from the sale of VG Nicki goes towards helping those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS (definitely an awesome thing MAC does there!). So if you want to look good AND do your bit for charity too, VG is a good option!

Now for some photos!:

LC (Left) and VG (Right)
 
LC (Left) and VG (Right)

As you can see, in the tube you would be splitting hairs to tell them apart... Not much difference at all! (Except for the fact I've used VG but yet to use LC). But as some of you may know, looks can be deceiving and quite often products can look different when swatched! So lets see how the swatches come out...
LC (Left) and VG (Right)
 
LC (Left) and VG (Right)
Would you believe it... They're DIFFERENT! (JUST!)
They are a bit more punchier in real life too compared to the photos, definitely nice and bright and not for the faint of heart (or colour!)


On the skin, Geradium throws a bit more red, where as Nicki throws a bit more pink! They are both great colours and I am glad I have both (but I am a bit of a collector and I'm fussy so I can get away with it!)

FINAL VERDICT: NOT DUPES!

Do you need both? Probably not! (Definitely not if you aren't fussy either!)
Which should you get? If you are going for better value, LC. If you want to do your part for charity, MAC. If you want a slightly more red tone, LC. If you want a bit more pink, MAC.


Do bear in mind the celeb-sponsored Viva Glam's (such as Viva Glam Nicki) don't stick around for ever - so if you want it, get it while you can. Geradium is definitely a good alternative if you can't get your hands on the MAC one. Lime Crime also pride themselves on being Vegan friendly and don't test on animals (I can't comment on MAC for this one because I am not 100% sure).

So there you have it! I hope this was of some use for you. I will try and do a look in the not too distant future using Geradium (especially because I haven't used it yet!).
If there are any "DUPE TEST" colours you would like to see featured please let me know! (If I have them I will happily oblige!).

Happy dupe-spotting!
Love,

Your PM x

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much for a comparison and description. most ppl let the pic do the talking and that's not usually the whole story... you gave more background to accompany the pictures. much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem! i'm fussy and wouldn't call them dupes but they are very close! but as i said, probably not worth having both!
    i'm glad it helped :)

    ReplyDelete