Saturday, April 27, 2013

POLISH FOR YOUR POLLEX: Zoya Pixie Dust Collection

Hello,

Tonight you get another instalment in "Polish For Your Pollex", the Zoya Pixie Dust Collection! Yesterday I posted the very beautiful Zoya Ornate collection (hopefully I'm not peaking too soon! haha).

If you are into nail polish even just a little bit, you would have probably seen that textured polishes are all the rage at the moment, with just about every brand bringing out their take on it! Have you seen the OPI's 'Liquid Sand'? This is the same sort of idea! Zoya's take is the 'Pixie Dust' collection. The Pixie Dust collection is a sparkly, matte, textured polish "infused with magic and wonder"! I believe it was released around the end of February, and Zoya have just released a summer collection of the Pixie Dust polishes in the US! (which look ah-mazing!)

Handy hint: Zoya recommends no top coat or base coat with this polish (I accidently used a base coat when I tried out Dahlia the other week and it didn't really affect it!) You can put a top coat over them (your fingers won't fall off!) but you will lose the matte, textured effect (which is the point of the Pixie Dust range!).

The Pixie Dust collection is a set of six polishes:
Zoya Pixie Dust
They look really sparkly and pretty in the pack! Now for some swatches:
Zoya Pixie Dust
Dahlia: Black base with silver glitter. It is a really interesting one and like Storm from the Ornate collection, if solid black is not quite your thing, this is a good alternative! This was the first one I tried and I was quite impressed with it! It kind of reminds me of a starry night sky!
Chyna: This is the only one that doesn't have silver glitter. This is a red base with red glitter (it may have been silver glitter that turned red? I'm not sure). It really reminds me of China Glaze's "Ruby Pumps". It's super sparkly and if you are going to wear top coat with any, I strongly recommend this one!
Godiva: A nude base with silver glitter. This is a really pretty plain one! It'd be one of those job interview appropriate ones that is still interesting to look at but isn't all in your face! It actually looks alot nicer swatched than it does in the bottle!
Vespa: A dusty green base with silver glitter. I have this one on now and it comes out a bit dustier on my fingies! A good one for spring.
Nyx: A nice sky blue base with silver glitter. This one leans the tinest bit purple and is another good one for spring!
London: A grey with silver glitter. Is this implying that it is based off the actual London? haha. It is a nice mid-toned grey and almost has a slight greeny tinge under certain light!

(L-R: Godiva, Chyna, Dahlia)
(L-R: London, Nyx, Vespa)
You can really see the texture and the sparkle close up! Texture wise, it's actually a bit smoother than I was expecting! It does feel grainy (and has a habit of holding onto things you get on it like hair dye and makeup!) but not much more grainy than a 120-odd grit nail file (except it's smooth!). Wear time is about standard for me (starts to chip after a few days!) but as I've said, my nails are soft as marshmallows so if your nails are nice and healthy you should hopefully get about five days out of your colour!

This Pixie Dust collection is a good introductory one, with a wide range of colours that are appropriate year-round. I would be interested to see what colours they come up with next winter if they bring a collection out... Navy perhaps? Darkened teal? mmm... Delightful!

My picks: Dahlia (becuase it's not a stark black), Godiva (a good all-rounder) and Chyna (try it with top coat!)
 
In terms of availablity, Zoya is rather hard to get in Australia. The collections are usually a few months behind the US (mostly becuase they are seasonally aimed!). I buy most of my Zoya now from Art Of Beauty Australia (www.zoya.com.au). The new collections (including Pixie Dust) aren't up on their website at the time of posting but I imagine you should be able to ring up and place a phone order if you wish. I have also ordered Zoya before from Aussie company Salon Style (www.salonstyle.com.au). The retail price for Zoya is AUD$19.

Do you like the new textured polish craze? Which are your favourites from the Pixie Dust collection?
 
Be kind to your Pollex!
Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment