Sunday, April 28, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: Kryolan Satin Powders and HD Pigments

Hello,

I'm on a bit of a blogging roll at the moment (I am trying to reduce that list that's longer than the Great Wall of China...) so tonight's second post (my first was my Top 5 MAC Picks) is on my little collection of Kryolan Satin Powders and HD Pigments.

A few people in my neck of the woods haven't really heard of Kryolan, but they make some great stuff! They aim for the Stage/TV makeup artists, but that doesn't mean the everyday makeup lover can't use their products! I swear by their TV Paint Stick for concealer, and I also love their translucent powder!

There are 16 available colours in the Satin Powder collection (I have four) and there are 16 available colours of the HD Pigments (I have three). I wanted to swatch the few I have, because I struggled to find swatches of them on the net when I went to buy mine. So hopefully if you are in the same predicament, this helps! 
Top: HD Pigments
Bottom: Satin Powders
The HD Pigments are supposed to be of a higher quality, and have good adhesive properties to bare skin (I will agree with this as I tried to use a HD Pigment with NYX eyeshadow base and it wouldn't grab!). The main difference, formula wise, between the HD Pigments and the Satin Powders is that the Satin Powders have a talc base and the HD pigments do not (good if you are allergic to talc, which some people are!).

First, the Satin Powders:
(L-R: White Gold, Rose Gold, Champagner, Majestic Green)
White Gold: A white base with a prominent gold shimmer. This would work great on the inner corner of your eye or as a brow highlighter (or both!).
Rose Gold: Looks alot more pink in the jar but on the skin is a nice soft candy pink with a gold shimmer. Very pretty and girly!
Champagner: A champagne coloured bronze. It's not a full on bronze (like Napoleon Perdis' Copper Element) but is a nice medium between gold and brown. This was the most metallic/shimmery of the Satin Powders.
Majestic Green: A green base with a green shimmer. It reminds me of a grass green. Can't say I love it, but I think this one would be great used with a Khaki green colour.

TOP TIP: For more intense colour, I press my loose pigments onto a base such as NYX Eyeshadow Base (there are others you can use but I use that one, and like it, so I recommend it! lol) to help keep the colour intense and lasting longer!

The HD Pigments:
(L-R: Dolomite, Marble, Emerald)
Dolomite: This has SUCH an interesting finish! It is a nude-y pinky lilac and the finish isn't like a sparkly metallic and it isn't quite matte. It's really hard to describe but it's awesome!
Marble: A really pretty pale sparkly purple! A really intense colour! Would be nice to mix into your everyday makeup routine!
Emerald: A beautiful green! It's an intense green and is simply stunning! If you love greens and wear green eyeshadow, this will not disappoint!

The texture of the HD Powders are different to the Satin Powders. The Satin Powders are a powder, and if someone says to me "loose pigment" that is the formula I expect. The HD Pigments are a bit clumpier (which I'm sure would be due to the absence of talc!). They remind me of a smaller version of MAC's Crushed Metallic Pigments!

Stats-wise, you get 3gms of Satin Powder for AUD$18 (VERY competitively priced) and for the HD powder you get 3gms of powder as well (though Dolomite is marked at 6gms... bit confused there?) for AUD$32. After swatching them side by side, you really can notice the difference in quality. The Satin Powders aren't bad quality, but the HD powder is just so much better! If you are one that is pedantic for quality, go for the HD powders if you will get the use out of them! If you aren't sure if you will get much use, and there is a colour you like, the Satin Powders are not too much of a strain on the hip pocket!

My picks: Dolomite (simply for the finish), Emerald (for the colour) and White Gold (for the versatility).

In Australia, you can buy Kryolan from www.kryolan.com.au and in Melbourne (for those in Melbourne) there is a shop in Little Collins St (so you can try till your heart's content!).

Have you used Kryolan before? Which products do you like?

Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment