Friday, April 12, 2013

How I Clean My Brushes!

Brushes are tools of the trade for a makeup artist (and a painter... but i'm digressing) and looking after them is imperative - not only so they last a long time but so you get good results from your makeup application!

In this post I will share with you the products I use to keep my brushes clean. Brush wise, I have a mish-mash of brushes from different brands and I don't necessarily use them for their specific purpose. For example, I have a flat blending brush that I use for application of dark colours to my crease. It's about finding what works best for your own individual makeup routine. Usually, you get what you pay for! (But as with makeup, there can be that well priced hidden gem!)

My brush cleaning routine is rather basic. I have an in-between clean method and a deep-clean method.

I use the Napoleon Perdis Brush Cleaner for in-between cleaning. I really like it's lavender scent (it contains Lavender Oil) and it does clean quite well! I especially like it for when I am changing colours (i.e I was using blue and then I change to gold) because it dries quickly and you're not left with a soggy brush!
Napoleon Perdis' Brush Cleaner
Lately, there has been much debate on the intarwebz about the Sigma Beauty Brush Cleaning gloves. Mostly, the issue has been price (they are US$39). I was planning to buy one, and went cold when they were planning to charge me about $20 for shipping for the glove and a couple of brushes. I planned to keep my eyes out for an alternative and it wasn't until a random shopping trip to Spotlight that I stumbled across an oven-gloved one!

One reason I wanted a glove was because I felt like cleaning brushes in my hands was not effective and not really giving the brushes the deep clean they really need. This silicone glove cost me a whopping $9.09 (got it for 30% off... score!). The brand is "d-line" I was appealed to it because of the grooves it in of varying sizes. I thought the larger ones could be good for bigger brushes, and the smaller ones for those finer eye brushes. (and if you are cooking while you clean your brushes, you won't need to swap gloves! haha).
D-line Silicon Oven Mitt (a.k.a New Brush Cleaning Glove!)
Well, I have FINALLY got around to using it and colour me impressed! I used a squirt of my body wash (note to self: buy some baby shampoo for brush cleaning!) and scrubbed away... It worked a treat!! I rinsed the brush and soaped it back up and suprisingly... pretty clean! Usually it takes a few goes when I clean brushes in the palm of my hand! What is also awesome, it didn't take much time or effort to get it that clean either! A definite time saver!

I certainly recommend you try a glove to clean your brushes! Whether you use the original Sigma one (if you do, let me know what you think!) or a oven-glove alternative, you could find it very time saving! I certainly have (and hopefully it works for you too!). I also recommend a brush cleaning spray for in-between uses. (I do use Napoleon's, but there are SO many on the market so find one that you like!) 

Happy cleaning!
Love,
Your PM xx

No comments:

Post a Comment