Saturday, April 6, 2013

DUPE TEST: Turquoise Pigments!

Happy Saturday!

As promised on my facebook page (are you following? facebook.com/PolishedMakeupBlog) today's post is a DUPE TEST on Turquoise Pigments.

I don't know what it is about turquoise/teal colours, whenever I see them I am always drawn to them like a bug to a bright light! There's something about them that I find really pretty! I always need to exercise a bit of restraint becuase I think "no, I have something like this already". Although, when delving through my pigment tin, I was suprised I only had 3 Turquoise Pigments (green on the other hand... phwoar! I probably should have done today's DUPE TEST on that! If you guys are keen to see them, please let me know and I can do one!)

I quite like loose pigments and they are usually my go to for eyeshadows. I find these days I reach for loose pigments over pressed shadows. I like that they are so pigmented and it doesn't take much effort to get a good pop of colour. They also blend out really easily and nicely.

Today's products in question are: Napoleon Perdis' Loose Eye Dust in "The Life Aquatic", Illamasqua Pure Pigment in "Chasm" and Inika Mineral Eye Shadow in "Turquoise #22".

Firstly, here are the important product stats:

WEIGHT
NP: 1.8 grams
Illamasqua: 1.3 grams
Inika: 1.2 grams


PRICE
NP: AUD $35
Illamasqua: GBP 15.50 (About AUD $25)
Inika: $25


WHERE TO BUY (AUS)
NP: David Jones, napoleonperdis.com, adorebeauty.com.au
Illamasqua: illamasqua.com (i bought mine on sale), selected Myer stores.
Inika: inika.com.au, adorebeauty.com.au

FEATURES
NP: Flip up lid with non-spill sifter.
Illamasqua: Slip-off lid with large hole sifter.
Inika: Screw off-lid with sifter.


At this point, NP is the definite front runner for the fact it is almost clumsy-proof. The non spill sifter means that if you drop it, you won't lose the whole pot of pigment (the other two will lose much more pigment if you happen to drop them!). To use it you shake it while the lid is closed to release a little bit of pigment! Only down side to NP adding their sifter is you don't get as much product as you used to when compared to their old packaging (but you are less likely to spill it!). Value wise, Illamasqua is the front runner! However, the NP works out about 40c per gram more, so still good value!

Now for some photos!: 

NP (left), Inika (bottom), Illamasqua (right)
You can (just) see the sifter in the NP pan. My Inika pigment has already spilled everywhere and I am yet to take the sticker off (I really wish it wasn't so messy!). At this point the Illamasqua and NP Pigments look the most similar.

NP (left), Inika (middle), Illamasqua (right)
NP (left), Inika (middle), Illamasqua (right)

At this point, the Inika one is the real difference. The NP and Illamasqua pigments have a gold shimmer, which isn't present in the Inika. Therefore, if you are looking for a 'cooler' turquoise, I would recommend the Inika. Between the NP and Illamasqua, the Illamasqua pigment has a touch more gold, as well as a more multi-coloured shimmer.

FINAL VERDICT: NOT DUPES!

Which should you get? If you're after a cooler-based shimmer, Inika. If you are clumsy, NP. If you want value, Illamasqua.


This was a bit of a failed DUPE TEST, especially compared to my last one (perhaps my eyes are too trained and fussy to different colours!). Nonetheless, turquoise is a great colour to have to jazz up your eye makeup. You could wear a pop on the inner corner, smudge it along your bottom lash line or mix it with a sealer gel to create an eyecatching eye-liner. Try it out next time you are looking for something different!

Happy dupe-spotting!
Love,

Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment