Monday, June 10, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: Illamasqua Lipstick in 'Esp'

This edition of 'Under the Microscope' is focusing on Illamasqua's new-ish lipstick in 'Esp', released in the Paranormal collection!

Esp is described as a 'vivid violet with a matte finish'. I also feel it's got a little bit of a violety-blue sheen hiding in there as well! According to the lady at the Illamasqua counter (where I bought Esp from) it is also glows under UV. I now have a UV torch to test this out and I can report that it does glow a bit (but it hides amongst the UV light so not much point in taking a photo), however the glow isn't enough to punch you in the face like other UV lippies (in other words, don't buy it solely because it glows).

Illamasqua Lipstick in Esp
Esp Swatch
These photos lean a little blue, but it is a really pretty colour as you can see! It's really bright and does have a glow about it.

Unfortunately, application wise, this doesn’t tick the boxes for me. The colour is beautiful but it went on rather patchy. I am rather fussy over lipsticks and if the pigmentation is not intense and even I find myself disappointed. This was one of those cases. It was an intense colour, but I couldn't get it even. From a distance, it would probably be less of an issue, but I am really pedantic about having my face presentable (when I put one on that is!).

I am really disappointed that this is not up to Illamasqua's usual standard. One thing I have noticed, is that the formula is different from other lipsticks in their range. I don’t know if they have permanently changed the formula (I asked one of the assistants when I was last at an Illamasqua counter and she couldn’t tell me). Posture and Esp (both new) have the same formula, which are both different to Kontrol (an older colour). I have also noticed, that purples tend to be a problematic colour. I have MAC’s Heroine, (another bright purple) which is also a pretty colour but is also disappointing in terms of wear.

This one really does perplex me because everyone I see it on it looks amazing but I am yet to make it work properly for me. If you somehow get it to work, it is a beautiful colour!

The going rate is AUD$25 for 4gms (quite reasonable value wise!).

You can purchase Illamasqua from www.illamasqua.com or in Australia from selected Myer counters or www.myer.com.au.

Do you have problems with purple lipsticks? Have you tried Esp? Have you got it to work?!

Until next time,
Love,
Your PM x

No comments:

Post a Comment